APA Style CENTRAL®
An award-winning platform, APA Style CENTRAL® is the only authoritative, cloud-based writing solution from the creators of APA Style®
Designed to help users develop their writing and professional research skills, APA Style CENTRAL combines sophisticated learning and teaching tools, advanced authoring technology, and full integration of APA's best-selling Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association® to create an unparalleled web-based suite of integrated services and tools.
All of the tools within APA Style CENTRAL have been created by a team of APA Style experts, which assures users and educators a level of accuracy, consistency, and confidence not available from any other source.
At a Glance
Four independent but integrated centers provide the expert resources necessary for teaching, learning, and applying the rules of APA Style, all while incorporating optimal habits of scholarship, research, and publishing into users’ academic and professional lives.
The Learning Center includes a rich assortment of learning and instructional objects that enable users to design their own approach to mastering APA Style.
It provides students and educators with an expert environment that offers the necessary tools by which to:
- Experience consistent and authoritative instruction regarding proper APA Style formatting
- Quickly find answers to all types of APA Style questions
- Link directly to the text from specific sections from the Publication Manual
- Conveniently work within the institutional learning management system
- Participate in a self-paced instructional environment that supports distance learning
Key Features of the Learning Center
- 66 Quick Guides — These brief learning objects cover concrete rules of APA Style, including reference formatting, page formatting, avoiding bias in writing, and more. Each provides a brief overview and then walks the user through the topic, offering step-by-step educational guidance.
- 18 Tutorials — Longer (10–30 minutes) than the quick guides, each tutorial provides in-depth information on topics such as avoiding plagiarism, conducting experimental research, finding sources for papers, and more.
- 10 Self-Quizzes — Each self-quiz is created based on the content covered in the Quick Guides and Tutorials, allowing users to assess their knowledge.
- 10 Tests — Available to educators to assign to students via their institution's Learning Management System, these tests as well as a bank of separate test questions can be used as part of classroom assessment.
- Hundreds of Samples — More than 30 different samples of tables, figures, and full papers, along with over 150 sample references. Sample references comprise every type covered in the sixth edition of the Publication Manual, everything in the APA Style Guide to Electronic References, and items pulled from the APA Style Blog.
- Convenient Links to Sections of the Publication Manual — Quickly look up details for specific rules and read the exact text from the Publication Manual while online.
The Research Center serves everyone from the most experienced researchers to those who are launching their first project. It includes a one-of-a-kind electronic reference library along with interactive project planning tools and more. It provides expertly-created forms for proper APA Style formatting of citations, and allows for the import and management of reference libraries in the common RIS format.
Key Features of the Research Center
- 9 Research Tutorials — Accessible from the Learn About Research section, these tutorials are linked from the Learning Center.
- 17 Reference Books — Users can access a collection of 17 electronic reference books covering quantitative and qualitative research methods, including the APA Handbook of Research Methods in Psychology. Also included are the APA Dictionary of Psychology and the APA Dictionary of Statistics and Research Methods.
- Helpful Research Tools — Four specially created tools assist students in developing, planning, and tracking their research.
- Develop My Research Idea — Step-by step-instructions on how to scope an idea so it's not too broad and not too narrow. Great for undergraduates!
- Plan & Track My Research — Create a research plan, and then track what actually happens.
- Describe My Tests & Measures — Input information on any measures used, and then easily import the data into the methods section.
- Track the Flow of Participants — Track the recruitment and retention of participants, create a figure, and seamlessly add it to a paper.
- Manage References — Enter and store references using an unrivaled set of customized forms for more than 80 reference types, all of which were created by APA experts for strict adherence to the rules of APA Style.
- An Extensive Citation Library for Reference Verification — Quickly search millions of preformatted citations that have been adopted from the APA PsycINFO® database, and can be used for validation and downloading directly into reference lists.
- Import Existing Reference Libraries — Easily import existing reference libraries for use in APA Style CENTRAL using the universal RIS format.
At the heart of APA Style CENTRAL is the Writing Center, as everything culminates in the creation of a research paper or article. Users can select from an assortment of different paper templates reflecting the most common types of primary or original publications (such as empirical studies, literature reviews, theoretical articles, methodological articles, and case studies) or choose a basic framework compatible with any type of APA Style paper.
Writers at all levels of experience will benefit from the professional tools and expert guidance provided in the Writing Center. Convenient links to objects from the Learning Center, Publication Manual text, context-sensitive help, and more help make the process of writing a paper in APA Style painless.
Key Features of the Writing Center
- 8 Paper Templates Provide Basic Paper Formatting and More — APA Style CENTRAL guides users through the proper formatting of title pages, running heads, fonts, margins, and more with structured templates for the most common research paper types: Empirical, Reaction, Literature Review, Theoretical, Methodological, Case Study, Multi-experiment, and a Basic Paper for any types that aren't represented here.
- Collaboration With Other Authors and Educators — Users can collaborate on papers with colleagues at other subscribing institutions, and educators can work with their students to monitor and comment on their progress.
- Convenient Tools for References and Other Elements of Papers — A unique reference pane is pinned to the bottom of the writing space, providing easy access for citing and adding references, tables and figures, appendices, and footnotes.
- Links to Help and Related Resources — Context-sensitive help includes tips, definitions, related tutorials, and excerpts of relevant sections from the Publication Manual.
For those ultimately looking to publish their paper in the scholarly literature, or students who are simply looking to familiarize themselves with the current publishing landscape, the Publishing Center provides the information to take users to that final step in the process. Searches can be conducted on a number of attributes, including by journal, author, keyword, methodology, population, and more in order to locate relevant titles.
As with all of the components of APA Style CENTRAL, the Publishing Center provides both educational and practical value. A wealth of information pertaining to journals from hundreds of publishers from across the globe is conveniently maintained in this one easy-to-use tool.
Key Features of the Publishing Center
- Nearly 2,000 Peer-Reviewed Titles — Browse and search attributes of a vast set of impactful scholarly titles in the behavioral and social sciences.
- Detailed Publisher Information — Journals from more than 260 publishers are represented in the Publishing Center. Find the information you need to submit an article for publication, including links to publisher web sites and submission portals, where available.
- Global Coverage — The Publishing Center includes information for English-language journals from more than 30 countries.
- A Great Reference Point for Students — Scan the journal landscape to become familiar with how to research journals for future publication or to find which journals might be best for a particular area of research
Training and Support
- APA Style CENTRAL Brochure for Subscribing Institutions (PDF, 545KB)
- APA Style CENTRAL Infographic (PDF, 1.2MB)